Saturday, February 14, 2009

Rice Cookers are Time Savers


Have you ever watched the Rachel Ray 30 minute meals or Sara's Weeknight Meals? The basis for their shows is that for normal working people, it is hard to come home from work and quickly cook a quick and healthy meal. I like watching their shows because while they do give me some good ideas at times, most of the time, it's just amusing to watch and think that I could actually accomplish their "30 minute meals".

When I moved out to live by myself, one of the most useful cooking instruments that I bought was the rice cooker/veggie steamer. Although I don't use the veggie steamer that much, the rice cooker has save me a ton of time and effort. If you've ever cooked rice in a pan or pot, you would most likely agree that it isn't simple. You get rice stuck to the bottom, or the rice never comes our right. The rice cooker has allowed me to to cook a main dish while cooking my rice to perfection.

My rice cooker is the Aroma brand, I don't recommend it. I bought it for about $30, and can serve more than enough rice for me and my significant other. The downside is it still sticks rice to the bottom of the cooker. Despite this, I still love having a rice cooker. I like to have carb, protein and veggie for all of my meals and some days I get tired of pasta or I just don't have time to clean and cook potatoes. My rice cooker allows me time to cook up some protein and prepared some veggies while my rice is cooking. If you're looking into getting one, do some research and get one that is the right size and value for you.

picture source

No comments: